The Classics Club Spin is beginning again.
- Pick twenty unread books from your list.
- Number them from one to twenty.
- On Monday a number will be drawn.
- That’s your book, to read by 6th October.
I’m going to do it.
And this time – after a couple of successful spins – I’m going to be brave. There’s a very big book in there that I haven’t put on a spin list before, and there are a couple that I think I might find difficult …..
Here’s my list:
Five that I’d read in translation
1. Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert (1857)
2. Doctor Glas by Hjalmar Söderberg (1905)
3. The Trial by Franz Kafka (1925)
4. Kristin Lavransdattir by Sigrid Undset (1922)
5. The Leopard by Giuseppe Tomasi Di Lampedusa (1958)
Five that were published before Queen Victoria came to the throne
6. A Simple Story by Elizabeth Inchbold (1791)
7. The Coquette by Hannah W Foster (1797)
8. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (1814)
9. The Collegians by Gerard Griffin (1829)
10.Old Goriot by Honore Balzac (1835)
Five that were published during her reign
11. A String of Pearls by Thomas Peskett Prest (1847)
12. Bleak House by Charles Dickens (1854)
13. The Odd Women by George Gissing (1893)
14. The Beth Book by Sarah Grand (1897)
15. Red Pottage by Mary Cholmondeley (1899)
Five from five decades of the 20th century
16. Fidelity by Susan Glaspell (1915)
17. Anderby Wold by Winifred Holtby (1923)
18. The Weather in the Streets by Rosamond Lehmann (1936)
19. The Far Cry by Emma Smith (1949)
20.The Fountain Overflows by Rebecca West (1957)
And now I must wait to see which number comes up on Monday …
Which number should I be hoping for? Which number should I hope to avoid?