I set myself a goal, and I’m off to a very good start.
3 x 50 gramme balls of Rowan Cashsoft Aran.
Nice yarn, but it tends to pill, and so I wouldn’t use it to make anything that got significant wear.
(It’s more pink and less mauve than it appears in the pictures.)
I’d made a hat and a pair of mittens and I had enough left for a scarf. Not a long scarf, but something to tuck into a collar on a cold day.
I couldn’t find one I liked that worked with the hat and mittens, and so I made it up, using the cable from the mittens
. It’s worked it rib, and so it’s reversible, which is what I wanted for a scarf.
I cast on enough stiches for three repeats, three stitches in between each cable, and a border at each end. I used the alternate cable cast on.
And then it was just knit one purl on rib, cabling every ten rows. The rows flew by, and it was wonderful television knitting.
I went on until the yarn was pretty much gone and the two ends matched.
The cast off was new to me – the invisible ribbed cast off which is something like Kitchener stitch – I went looking for something to match the cast on and this looked to be the best bet.
Exactly what I wanted. I haven’t blocked the scarf, because I like being able to stretch it out when I put it on, and because I like hand knitting to look like hand knitting.
Another scarf. I’m trying out the double knitting technique to make a two-coloured, double thickness, reversible scarf.
Now I have to keep the momentum going – watch this space!