It’s here again – The Classics Club Spin.
- Pick twenty unread books from your list.
- Number them from one to twenty.
- On Monday a number will be drawn.
- That’s your book, to read in August and September.
But should I do it again?
I wasn’t sure.
The second time was a complete failure. The wrong book at the wrong time.
I do think I should try again. I just have to make sure that every book on my list is one I really want to read. This isn’t the time for me to read a book that I have to work at, not after the last few weeks. I have to get life back on track first.
And so it’s time for a new, carefully curated list:
Five from the 1850s:
1. Bleak House by Charles Dickens (1851)
2. The Warden by Anthony Trollope (1855)
3. The Daisy Chain by Charlotte M Yonge (1856)
4. Aurora Leigh by Elizabeth Barrett Browning (1856)
5. Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert (1857)
Five books from five countries :
6. The Coquette by Hannah W Foster (1797) (USA)
7. The Collegians by Gerard Griffin (1829) (Ireland)
8. The Count of Monte Christo by Alexandre Dumas (1844) (France)
9. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (1877) (Russia)
10. Under The Greenwood Tree by Thomas Hardy (1872) (England)
Five from the Virago Modern Classics list:
11. The Odd Women by George Gissing (1893)
12. Red Pottage by Mary Cholmondeley (1899)
13. The Weather in the Streets by Rosamond Lehmann (1936)
14. Black Narcissus by Rumer Godden (1947)
15 . One Fine Day by Mollie Panter-Downes (1947)
Five from the 1950s:
16. The World My Wilderness by Rose Macaulay (1950)
17. A Game of Hide and Seek by Elizabeth Taylor (1951)
18. Fenny by Lettice Cooper (1953)
19. The Tortoise & the Hare by Elizabeth Jenkins (1954)
20. The Fountain Overflows by Rebecca West (1957)
And now I must wait and see …