You can commit to reading 12, 25 or 50 library books in 2009.
I am a lifelong library lover and I am very definitely in for 50 books.
No list yet, but a few fairly random thoughts about libraries:
- I am lucky to have a good public library service – I can order any book in the county or in a large reserve stock for just 50p.
- I also belong to the wonderful Morrab Library. There are only 19 private subscription libraries in the UK and this one is just a few minutes walk from home.
- I can still visualise where my favourite books were in the library when I was a child.
- Without libraries I wouldn’t be able to read anything like as widely as I do.
- I pass the library as I walk home from work. A little look around the shelves after a difficult day is wonderfully theraputic!
- I like to think I can influence what the library stocks by ordering and borrowing books. I have been known to borrow under-borrowed books that I own to help their statistics.
- Don’t book lovers have a duty to support libraries? If we don’t we can’t assume they will still be there and then how will people who can’t afford to buy books read and how will other people discover books?
- I first met my fiancé in the library!