The Decades ’09 Challenge is being hosted by Michelle here.
The rules are:
- Read a minimum of 9 books in 9 consecutive decades in ‘09.
- Books published in the 2000’s do not count.
- Titles may be cross-posted with any other challenge.
- You may change your list at any time.
This is going to suit me well. I love reading books from different periods and reading a book from each year of the 20th century will help me towards my long term goal of having a list of 100 book that I have read and recommend for each year of the 20th century.
It may well change, but here is my initial list, one for each decade of the 20th century.
- The Shuttle by Frances Hodgson Burnett (1909)
- The Voyage Out by Virginia Woolf (1915)
- The Man in the Queue by Josephine Tey (1929)
- Invitation to the Waltz by Rosamond Lehmann(1932)
- Doreen by Barbara Noble(1946)
- Excellent Women by Barbara Pym (1952)
- We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson(1966)
- Mrs palfrey at the Claremont by Elizabeth Taylor (1971)
- The Juniper Tree by Barbara Comyns(1985)
- Symposium by Muriel Spark (1999)
Eight are from my TBR and one is a book that I have been looking for a good excuse to buy!
Wow, what an ambitious list. I look forward to coming back and reading about your progress.
Thank you. What I have tried to do is mix up a few lighter books with a few that I have always meant to read but I need the incentive of a challenge to actually make me do it.